Relationships can be the best things that can happen to someone or they can be the most painful when they don’t work out. Of course, if you’re reading this, you already know how much a broken relationship can hurt, especially if you don’t want things to end.
The majority of your time will be spent in trying to figure out ways to get your ex to come back to you. It’s hard to say whether or not you’ll be successful in this because there are so many deciding factors. However, there are a few things you try that just may work.
- Remain strong. Avoid being clingy and desperate and don’t beg. This is much more likely to send your ex scurrying away as fast as possible rather than re-attracting him or her. It’s also important to show the rest of the world around you that you can hold it together even though this is a horrible time in your life. Don’t make public scenes. Keep that crying and screaming behind closed, soundproof doors.
- Keep contact with your ex to a minimum. Non-communication may seem like the opposite of trying to fix a broken relationship, but it’s actually one of the most important things you can do. There’s obviously a problem and someone needed a break. The silence between the two of you lets you reflect and think about things. It’s the best way to assess the relationship. It also gives your ex a chance to clear his or her mind. Many times, being away from each other will bring the value of your relationship back.
- Be flexible with your ex. The worst thing you can do right now is start making demands like “have your stuff out by Monday or I’m donating them to Goodwill.” You can’t scare someone into coming back to you. Your ex left you because he or she was unhappy, so it’s time for you to become a good listener. This doesn’t mean that you have to give in to every demand. However, you’ll want to meet halfway if you’re interested in rebuilding your communication.
- Get out with friends. Don’t stay home and mope. You need to get out of the house with your friends and find other ways to entertain yourself. It’s not necessary to be on the rebound. All you need is to just get some of your self-confidence back, and getting out will help.
- Figure out if anything changed. There’s a reason you and your ex were initially interested in each other. Think back to those first weeks and months and try to figure out what changed from then until now. If you let yourself go in some way, work on becoming the real you and see if you can’t reignite the interest.
It’s not always easy to get your ex back. Sometimes, it’s just not meant to happen at all. But that doesn’t mean that, if you really try, it won’t work for you. It may all turn out just the way you want.